I am a Ph.D. candidate at the Computer Science Department of Aalto University. I work on complex networks under the supervision of Prof. Mikko Kivelä. Currently, I am working on critical phenomena in network science. My fields of interest are Complex Systems, Network Science, and Non-equilibrium Statistical Physics.
My first name is Abbas, an Arabic name for the “Lion King” and [æbˈbɒːs] is the way that I like to be called! My last name is “Karimi Rizi” which I usually write as K. Rizi. “Riz” was the old name of my birthplace. I do research on Networks as a doctoral student at Aalto & I write for the public about science at sitpor.org. I believe in stories and that’s why I’ve been learning and practicing how to write and how to talk with good narratives since 2013.
I was born in Zarrin Shahr (Riz), Isfahan, Iran. I got my BA in Solid State Physics (2012-16) and my MSc (2016-18) in Physics of Complex Systems from Shahid Beheshti University (SBU) in Tehran. For my MSc project, I worked on cancer at the Center For Complex Networks & Social Data Science (CCNSD) of SBU. The idea behind my project was to infer/learn the weight of the Gene Regulatory Networks (GRN)’s links in the case of Breast Cancer with a maximum entropy approach. Then, given the networks of cancerous and healthy cells, compare their networks.
Front. Physiol., https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2020.573732
TALKS & WORKSHOPS in Science Communication
- Complex Networks: A Survey – Tehran University, Online Seminar
- “The Story of Complexity: Why more is different?!” – Sar Conference. December 2018, Iran Science and Technology Museum, Tehran, Iran
- “Can Physicists Model Social Networks?” – 3rd Link Symposium, August 2018, Shahid Beheshti University (SBU), Tehran, Iran
- “What do Physicists and Complexity Scientists do?” – SBU Physics Open Day. December 2017, Shahid Beheshti University (SBU), Tehran, Iran
- “The 1st Workshop on Complexity For Non-Expert People
” August2017, Allameh Helli High School, Tehran, Iran